Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Marlowe


“Marlowe is a market driven neighborhood bistro housed in a rustic-chic and inviting space. Bright and bold flavors from a three-star chef, and a little family history create an exciting new restaurant concept nestled in San Francisco’s slick SoMa neighborhood.”  I took this straight from the website and “bistro favorites” is what Marlowe seems to brand itself as, in addition to a locals place.  I can definitely see that as the atmosphere is very inviting.  It’s a pretty small space with a rustic feel.  I really enjoyed the swine and bovine pictures on the walls depicting where each cut comes from.  Rustic indeed, bistro I’m not sure.

After studying up on the menu, I was very excited to try some of what seemed to me as some down home classics with a twist.  I was particularly excited about the baked oysters and the crispy Brussels sprout chips.  I actually think this was the first time I’ve had oysters baked.   I can’t remember their names, but I determined that I like bigger ones better as they seem to be more flavorful.  At any rate, these came with a ton of cheese and bacon.  Generally speaking, anything with cheese and bacon is A-Ok in my book, however, I have to say these flavors over powered the oyster.  I couldn’t taste it.  It actually tasted like a potato skin to me.  Wasn’t a fan.


Oysters

BS chips



















Next was the crispy brussel sprout chips.  This turned out to be individual Brussels sprout leaves lightly fried and super salty. Sounds great, right? Not so much.  My expectations were not fulfilled.  It was just a Brussels sprouty vessel for salt.  It was nothing spectacular and not very crispy at all. 

Third ap was a duck liver mousse served with a grape berry jam and a honey-grainey mustard sauce.  The mousse was as expected, but the two sweet accouterments really enhanced the flavor.  I really scarfed this one down.  It was by far my favorite so far.

What? One more ap? I couldn’t resist ordering the Jerusalem artichoke soup with whipped crème fraiche, hazelnut oil and sunchoke chips. It just sounded like it had so much potential.  Unfortunately, this was another disappointment, as it was just very bland.  The only bites worth mentioning were the spoonfuls of the crème fraiche.  

Finally, the mains.  I ordered the Anson Mills polenta wild mushrooms, truffled pecorino and a poached farm egg.  Each item complemented the next , and you know how I love a runny egg!  I cleaned the plate.  Marlowe was beginning to redeem itself.   Redeem indeed! If you ever go here, you must order the  “Poulet vert” broccoli di ciccio, toasted garlic, chili flake and marble potatoes.  This was by far the best dish on the menu (that we tried).  It happened to be the juiciest-herby-flavorfuly-perfectly cooked chicken I’ve had in a long time.  (Might even rival Zuni – just sayin.)  We also had the pork, which was nothing to write home about.  Too sweet.  (Honestly, I only had one bite and by this time, was married to the chicken.  Sorry, pork I still love you!)

Chicken


Dessert time.  And, it was a special one because it was my friend and guest photographer for this post, Erin’s b-day.  Naturally, we had the pear upside down cake with bourbon ice cream and caramel sauce.  Please refer to my Roadhouse post, i.e., you can’t go wrong with anything bourbon flavored.  

Overall, I have to say I was a little disappointed with Marlowe.  However, since the atmosphere was so cozy-cool and the chicken spectacular, I would give it another shot.  Marlowe: 2 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Very fair review. And, I will say that the photos turned out alright. Thanks for a great b-day dinner!

    ReplyDelete