Sunday, June 12, 2011

Cochon 555


I’m a Jew who loves Pork, so I couldn’t pass up the opportunity as a foodie and a food blogger to attend Cochon 555, a competition between five chefs cooking five pigs.  The event is a celebration of heritage breed, which are older blood lines and grass-raised vs. commercial pigs which are raised inside in a pen.  The event also utilized the whole pig – yep all of it from tail to snout (see below).  

 
The five chefs were Ravi Kapur, Prospect, Matt Accarino, SPQR, David Bazirgan, Fifth Floor, David Varley, Michael Min, and Brandon Jew, Bar Agricole.  The five wineries were Scott Paul (Mr. Scott Paul was there pouring), Peay, Failla, Behrens and Elk Cove.  I had only been to two of the five restaurants (SPQR and Prospect) but knew I was in good hands with all of these chefs.  

I wasn’t sure what to expect, but this was unlike any event I’ve ever been to. Before they opened the doors to the pigs, we got to sample oysters, cheese and wine.  Bartenders were also pouring cocktails and beer from Magnolia Brewery.  While waiting for the event to begin, I met Liz, one of the pig farmers from Tomales Bay.  In addition to Liz, I met so many fascinating people from pig farmers, to industry folks (chef from One Market, PR girl for Delfina, Bacon Girl – yeah some girl who had a calendar of her posing with bacon – weird!).  It was great! 

Finally the doors opened and the swine was upon us!  I felt like I was on Top Chef.  My first encounter was the butchering station before I ventured to the Michael Minna table.  First bite: crispy fried pork cracklins! I ate a lot of these in Thailand and it was a welcoming introduction to my night of pigging out.  I should’ve taken better notes on what each plate was, but I know there was a yummy pork tamale and a pâté of some kind.  This wasn’t my favorite.

 
Next was Fifth Floor.  Menu was:  Douglas Fir Connsumme, Pig’s Head Cappelecci, Brain Flan, Blood Espuma and Crispy Offal.  I didn't know what half this stuff was, but it was pretty damn good.  

My favorite of the night was Prospect.  I have two words for you Pork Jerky!  Now, I have two more Chorizo Michelada – yes a pork drink – brilliant.  Here is Prospect’s menu:  (the chocolate blood cake was not good, fyi).  



SPQR ended up winning.  His plate was a bacon éclair, a pork pastrami sandwich and another pork-tasting cake, which was ‘da bomb!  You know I don’t love desserts, but if they have pork in them, sign me up! 

 
Finally, after five plates of small bites, they rolled out the whole pigs.  This was served with rice and potatoes.  This pork was so fatty!  






I ended the night enjoying Magnolia Brewery’s Bacon Porter, which they brewed especially for this event.  It was delicious.  I made friends with the bartender and he gave me a growler to take home (naturally).  Pork Beer.  I mean, it keeps getting better!  In closing, I will leave you with a few more photos, including of the butchering demonstration.  Oink Oink!









No comments:

Post a Comment