Thursday, November 17, 2011

Park Tavern

I somehow got a reso at the hot new Park Tavern owned by the same people that brought  us Marlowe.  The minute I walked in I was in love.  I knew right away I would like this place.  It was jammed packed!  There was such an amazing buzz.  I was instantly taken back to any hip Manhattan restaurant, so I immediately felt at home (Park Tavern is located in Washington Square Park, coincidence?)  Despite the fact that I truly think the restaurants in San Francisco are better than those in New York, they do lack the vibe.  You know, that energy, excitement and slap in the face that says, "YES I’M HERE!!  AND, I’M VERY COOL!"

The first thing I noticed about Park Tavern was the bar.  This is where I really wanted to be, to pony up, but, of course, it was way crowded (with cute guys, fyi).  We actually got a cool table for two right in the center of the restaurant, which was good for people watching.  We we’re quickly greeted by the super friendly waiter.  He schooled us on the menu, gave us our cocktails and we didn’t see him again for about 20 min. 

The menu is pretty straightforward divided into sections:  raw, fried, smoked, apps, sides and mains.  We started with two raw dishes and a salad app.  I chose the halibut, avocado and corn crudo while my fellow diner chose the steak crudo.  Mine was super light and the jalapeno that topped it added the right amount of spice, otherwise it would’ve been a bit bland.  Since I don’t dig on cow, I did not try the steak crudo, but she said it was good. 

Halibut

Our salad course was the wild arugula, mushroom conserva with porcini and charred onion vinaigrette.  The presentation was very appealing as the mushroom conserva was spread at the bottom of the plate. But overall, a bit boring.  

Next came the mains which we split:  pork chop and the twice baked potato.  I will start with the latter.  YUM!  Crème fraiche, cheddar and scallions topped this bad boy.  I couldn’t get enough! The chop was also very good.  Nicely cooked, juicy and served with dinosaur kale.  (Side bar:  Dear kale, you are the “it green” right now.  I do love you and will continue to eat you even when something like purple potatoes or yellow carrots become the next trendy food.)

I very much enjoyed my experience at Park Tavern.  The service could have been a little better, but the food made up for it.  Much better than Marlowe.  This could be the new hangout.

Disclaimer:  I apologize for the lack of photos until I get an iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment